Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: MRII594A mounting holes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member A7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2006
    Location
    Pacifc Northwest
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    MRII594A mounting holes

    Just picked up this horn. I have a 288C driver I want to mount on the flange. Not going to happen with the way it's drilled. Do I need an adapter plate for this? Seems odd that Altec would make a horn with a 1 1/4" throat that a large format driver cannot be directly mounted. Thanks in advance for your input.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    MRII594A mounting holes


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: MRII594A mounting holes

    I think the newer mantarays were 4 bolt instead of 3?

    The old 3 bolt pattern has pretty much disappeared

    Most 1.4 inch horns are now 4 bolt

    the hole drawing is here...you could probably have a machine shop re-drill them

    http://www.altecpro.com/pdfs/vintage...%20Drivers.pdf
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member A7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2006
    Location
    Pacifc Northwest
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MRII594A mounting holes

    Thanks Old Guy. I have a cut sheet from Great Plains. They still produce and sell the Mantaray horn. I did not know the newer drivers have four bolts. The Great Plains cut sheet shows a diver horn mounting bracket, (not available at this time). The horn does have the three bolt pattern, two holes counter sunk into the body, and one through the lip. I'm guessing that the adapter would fit over the driver bolts and the driver nuts would secure the adapter. Now if I'm reading the cut sheet right, the adapter should bolt to the horn. Will I need to place a gasket between the flange and adapter? Just trying to figure this critter out before I try and fab something up. Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member A7fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 15th, 2006
    Location
    Pacifc Northwest
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MRII594A mounting holes

    Thanks Old Guy. I have a cut sheet from Great Plains. They still produce and sell the Mantaray horn. I did not know the newer drivers have four bolts. The Great Plains cut sheet shows a diver horn mounting bracket, (not available at this time). The horn does have the three bolt pattern, two holes counter sunk into the body, and one through the lip. I'm guessing that the adapter would fit over the driver bolts and the driver nuts would secure the adapter. Now if I'm reading the cut sheet right, the adapter should bolt to the horn. Will I need to place a gasket between the flange and adapter? Just trying to figure this critter out before I try and fab something up. Thanks again.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MRII594A mounting holes

    This thread goes into more detail.

    http://www.hostboard.com/forums/alte...-mrii594a.html


    I'm about to get some of these machined up.

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    MRII594A mounting holes


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: MRII594A mounting holes

    The plate measures 7 1/2" x 7 1/2" and the gaskets are paper thin here's a picture Regards

  7. #7
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: MRII594A mounting holes

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    The plate measures 7 1/2" x 7 1/2" and the gaskets are paper thin here's a picture Regards
    This is not an adapter plate for mounting a 3-stud Altec driver to a 4-hole horn. This is a simple mounting plate for suspending MRII horns. The MRII horn is very short and needed extra support on the driver end due to the weight of the driver. This plate gave the installer something to grab on to.

    An adapter will need to have depth for bolt heads or hex heads to recess. The adapter would be bolted to the driver and four studs on the horn side would extend through the horn flange. I have a pair of custom aluminum adapters for bolting my 399s to small EV horns (1.4" throat).
    Experience is Knowledge

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    MRII594A mounting holes


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: MRII594A mounting holes

    Quote Originally Posted by whitebroncoii View Post
    This is not an adapter plate for mounting a 3-stud Altec driver to a 4-hole horn. This is a simple mounting plate for suspending MRII horns. The MRII horn is very short and needed extra support on the driver end due to the weight of the driver. This plate gave the installer something to grab on to.

    An adapter will need to have depth for bolt heads or hex heads to recess. The adapter would be bolted to the driver and four studs on the horn side would extend through the horn flange. I have a pair of custom aluminum adapters for bolting my 399s to small EV horns (1.4" throat).
    I thought he was just looking for the gaskets and plate my Bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.